Parenting is a lot like a roller coaster ride. Things move really fast. There can be a lot of ups and downs…it’s fun and exhilarating, but also a little bit scary.
So, if you aren’t at least a little bit moody as a parent, you’re probably doing it wrong.
With that in mind, I’ve compiled a list of all the moods parents go through on a daily basis.
Here they are…in no particular order:
1. Sleepy – Parenting (in general) Wears. You. Out. But also, kids wake up a lot in the middle of the night, which means you wake up a lot in the middle of the night. Newborns are up all night, and with older kids there are bad dreams, sickness, loud storms, and my personal favorite – calling your name at 2:00 in the morning because “I just wanted to hug you.” That one is both the sweetest and most annoying thing in the world. I love you too, but let’s hug at breakfast!
2. Grumpy – See number one. You’re tired. No, you’re exhausted. You haven’t slept past 6:00 am since 2005, so you get a little grumpy by late afternoon…especially if you didn’t have your morning coffee. That’s when you unleash your wrath over the orange juice being left out on the counter all day…only to find out it was you who left it out.
3. Dopey – This could be a result of lack of sleep, but for some reason, the day you bring a kid home from the hospital brain cells start to evaporate into thin air. Oh you don’t believe me? Why else are you wandering all over the house looking for your car keys when they are in your hand. Where are your glasses? They’re on your head. Did you notice you just put the milk in the pantry and the cereal in the refrigerator?
4. Happy – It’s 8:30 and the kids are finally in bed! Woo hoo! What? Oh, like you don’t do a happy dance when the kids finally go to bed after a long day! Ok, ok. The hugs, the kisses, the “I love you, Daddys” … that stuff is great too! 😉
5. Bashful – You’re a confident person. You’re smart and decisive. Or at least you were…before kids. Now you second guess every decision. Even dinner! I don’t know, what do you want? I don’t know, what do you want? And, big decisions regarding your kids?? Ti-mid!
6. Doctor – There’s boo-boo’s and bo-bo’s, scratches and scrapes, and you’re always there with a bandage, a hug, and a kiss to make it “all better.” Ok, this technically isn’t a mood, but being the one they go to in order to make everything alright also makes you…happy.
7. Sneezy – See number 6. Everything isn’t always a scratch. Sometimes they bring home colds, strep, the flu, you name it…Will you stop putting your hands in your mouth!?! …and while you’re making it all better, you catch it too. Two words: hand san-i-it-zer. (I wonder if it’s safe to bathe in?)
Man, I guess our kids are right…parents really are moody!
I don’t know about you though, but even with all the ups and downs…even with the roller coaster ride that is parenting, I wouldn’t trade my role as a dad for anything in the world!
Enjoy every moment…even the ones when you’re grumpy…even the ones when the kids are grumpy! Because in about 5 minutes, they won’t be babies anymore.
I'd like to hear from you! What other mood would you add? Have your kids ever called you at 2 am for a hug?! You can leave a comment by clicking here.